Thursday, January 7, 2010

2nd Quarter Book Review

Redefining Beautiful by Jenna Lucado Genre: Christian/Inspirational

This book is all about how you look at yourself. It talks about how your relationship with your father and your relationship with God affect the way you look at yourself and the way you look at other people. It gives real insight into father/daughter relationships. Also, how a relationship with God can help you if you don't have a good father/daughter relationship. What's great about this book is that it is not only for people who are really religious. It does make references to Christian religion, so it may not be for people who are of another religion, but it is good for anyone who is Christian (at any level). A lot of the things the book discusses can be related to by anyone.

I really liked the way this book was written. What the author did was she would start by discussing a topic. Then she would break off and tell a story either from her own life or from the life of someone she knows. Then she would go on to explain how that story demonstrates or relates to the topic. This was very helpful in understanding the concepts of the book and applying them to my own life. She would also sometimes write a side not in a boxed off area of the page that referred to something earlier discussed in the book. I thought this was helpful in keeping up with the ideas and relating them to each other. It helped to make everything in the book go together.
I have not read any other books by this author and I don't think she currently has any other books. I have not read many books of this style or genre either so I don't have much to compare it to. Although this book has inspired me to read more like it.

"What is beautiful? How is it defined?"(3)

This book gave me a lot to think about in my own life. A lot of the things she talked about in the book were things i could relate to. I thought it was very interesting to read about how the father/daughter relationship affects girls. It was also interesting to compare what she said to my own father/daughter relationship. She also talked a lot about your relationship with God. Some of that got a little hairy for me. I am not a super religious person and I have doubts about the whole concept of religion. But although some parts were a little over the top for me, I still enjoyed a lot of it. A lot of it was overly detailed but more general. I found this to be inspirational and gave me a lot to think about.

Overall I thought this was an interesting and thought-provoking book. I really enjoyed it and would suggest it to any girl who ever feels insecure or questions themselves in terms of looks, popularity, or anything else a girl could be self-concious about. Or any girl who may want some more insight into their own life.

2 comments:

  1. 1.) The readers overall impression of the book was she liked it because she could relate it to her own life. She also liked it because it made her think about herself and her relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2.) The reader noticed that the writing style of the author was that she left spaces if different places so you could write your thoughts. Also the author told stories to relate to her point she was making.
    3.)Yes it was a good passage because it was the main topic throughout the book.
    4.)This book review compares to other book reviews because she has all the same pieces... Ashley's was the best.
    5.) I would read this book because i heard Jenna speak in a conference i went to and she was really funny and made a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete