Wednesday, October 21, 2009

First Quarter Outside Reading Book Review

The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult. Washington Square Press, 2006 Genre: realistic fiction

The Tenth Circle is a story about a 14 year old girl and her family, which is quickly falling apart. After the break-up with her boyfriend, Trixie Stone quickly falls into depression. During a party where she tries to get her boyfriend back, her actions take a dark turn and she is raped by the boy she once loved. With their world seeming to crash around them, the Stone family must pull through twists and turns and a journey that could tear them apart.

The front cover reads "Picoult is a master of the art of storytelling,"- Houston Chronicle

One thing that I really like about the way Jodi Picoult writes is that she is great at really making you think. She always ends topics and topics and paragraphs with very thought provoking sentences. They make you reflect on what you've read. It really help you to get into the story and feel what the characters are feeling.

I've also read The Pact and My Sister's Keeper by this author. I've thought similar things about all three. They are all great books and all revolve around questionable topics. She seems to like to write books and stories about controversial topics. You really have to read the whole book before you can decide on your opinion of the conflict. And people often have different opinions.

"Laura Stone knew exactly how to go to hell"(15).

I really enjoyed this book. I've enjoyed all books by Jodi Picoult that I've read. I'm excited to continue reading her work. I really felt like I related to the main character in this story. At some points I felt like I really understood how she was feeling and where she was coming from. It was very interesting to read and I would suggest it to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment